Skip to main content

Review: Slightly South of Simple by Kristy Woodson Harvey



Blurb from Goodreads:
Caroline Murphy swore she’d never set foot back in the small Southern town of Peachtree Bluff; she was a New York girl born and bred and the worst day of her life was when, in the wake of her father’s death, her mother selfishly forced her to move—during her senior year of high school, no less—back to that hick-infested rat trap where she'd spent her childhood summers. But now that her marriage to a New York high society heir has fallen apart in a very public, very embarrassing fashion, a pregnant Caroline decides to escape the gossipmongers with her nine-year-old daughter and head home to her mother, Ansley.

Ansley has always put her three daughters first, especially when she found out that her late husband, despite what he had always promised, left her with next to nothing. Now the proud owner of a charming waterfront design business and finally standing on her own two feet, Ansley welcomes Caroline and her brood back with open arms. But when her second daughter Sloane, whose military husband is overseas, and youngest daughter and successful actress Emerson join the fray, Ansley begins to feel like the piece of herself she had finally found might be slipping from her grasp. Even more discomfiting, when someone from her past reappears in Ansley's life, the secret she’s harbored from her daughters their entire lives might finally be forced into the open.

Exploring the powerful bonds between sisters and mothers and daughters, this engaging novel is filled with Southern charm, emotional drama, and plenty of heart.
My Review:
 
This is a definite beach read and I enjoyed it but it wasn't as much of an escape as I had hoped. Maybe it's just me but I'm finding it harder and harder to escape in a book given the news every. single. day. But turning back to this book, in particular, I really liked the alternating POV between mother and daughter.  I don't think I've read a book before with that sort of switch and it worked well here.  I really liked the mother, Ansley, but Caroline (one of the daughters and the one in whose POV half the book was told) was so incredibly selfish and harsh. It was hard to relate to her and I think anyone would have a hard time relating to her. The setting was good and I do think this would be a fun summer read-- perfect for the beach-- because it was fairly light but also had its own complexities and nuances.  Without giving anything away, there were a few surprises that made this an enjoyable read.
Slightly South of Simple comes out later this month on April 25, 2017, and you can purchase HERE.  
That was the moment I realized that what you see in movies, what you read about in books, that isn't the good part. Not at all. The butterflies make you feel giddy and alive, and that's sweet. But it's what happens after that really matters. It's the time you realize that you love has grown exponentially since that first day, when you discover that being someone's wife, being in it for the long haul, having someone there beside you day in and day out, is o much better than y any roses on Valentine's Day or any first-date jitters you could ever have.

Comments

  1. It's always great when there are surprises in a book that make a book enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. II am glad this was enjoyable. I have it and loved her last book so I am excited to get to it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is harder to read than it used to be, its why I try to limit how much of the news I pay attention to. just the main stories, and just enough to keep informed. But its so stressful. I normally have to do some yoga or coloring before I can escape into a book. Hope you reading gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of surprises and a light read, but I agree that it IS hard to read lighter books like I used to, just for sheer enjoyment. Because it's like... wait, no, the world is not okay. Ugh. And the daughter sounds pretty ungrateful, based on the synopsis of her mom taking her in and all! Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for taking time to read and review Slightly South of Simple!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love this trope, sub-genre, setting: My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend

I Love This Trope, Sub-Genre, Setting is a new feature on my blog in which I discuss a trope, sub-genre or setting that I love and tell you about books that are shining examples of said trope, sub-genre or setting.  Feel free to play along and please let me know about your favorite books in this realm and whether you like this trope, sub-genre and/or setting as much as I do! Today I am spotlighting the trope of:  My Best Friend's Brother/My Brother's Best Friend , which I would define as any book where the heroine either has a crush on or falls for her brother's best friend or her best friend's brother. I have to confess that I love this trope in nearly all of its iterations!  I have a younger brother so I never got to crush on any of his friends but it's fun reading about that and it's equally as fun as reading about falling for your best friend's brother -- instant sisters!  I know there are a ton

Conversations With Myself (& Hopefully You): ARC Greed

This discussion is inspired by my feelings lately when reading and reviewing ARCs versus the feelings I had when I requested those same ARCs: ARC GREED ARC greed -- have we all experienced this?  What I even mean by this term is that I sometimes feel overwhelmed when looking at Netgalley and Edelweiss and  I sometimes over-request, if only because I can!  I get greedy when I see all the new and shiny ARCs available and I will sometimes request things that have even a hint of interest for me, not necessarily focusing only on those books that I really, really want.  The problem with this over-requesting and with getting greedy with requesting (and receiving) ARCs is when it comes time to read and review these ARCs.  Last month and this month, I have looked at my ARCs with a release date in each respective month and I just haven't wanted to read any of them.  I need to start asking myself -- If I was immediately approved for this ARC, would I read it right thi

Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases For the Rest of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday  is hosted by the fab ladies at  The Broke and the Bookish ! What books are you anticipating for the rest of this year?